If you are new to the Maker universe, it might be helpful to check out what Arduino is all about.
Upgrade Makerball digitally by following these steps:
You will need these parts for a digital upgrade.
- a smartphone
- a computer
- a microcontroller with Bluetooth connection
- a breadboard and some wires
- a battery connector
- a 9V battery
- 4 resistors
- Arduino IDE on your computer
- Makerball score app on your smartphone
Getting the hardware. You need to buy these parts. There are several stores that offer microcontrollers and supplies.
- 1 microcontroller with Bluetooth connection. We recommend the Arduino Genuino 101.
- 1 breadboard. Half-size is fine. Something like this.
- 18 male/male jumper wires (between 5 and 15 cm in length).
Connect the microcontroller and the breadboard. The color of the wires have no meaning.
3.1.) Download and install the Arduino IDE software on your computer: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
3.2.) Open the Arduino IDE software. Download and install the board (e.g. Arduino Genuino 101).
3.3.) Install "Curie BLE" library (Arduino IDE: Menu > Sketch > Include Library > Manage Libraries)
4.1.) Connect your microcontroller with the USB cable to your computer.
4.2.) Download this .zip-file from our Dropbox and unpack it.***
4.3.) Open the file MakePlayArduino.ino with the Arduino IDE software.
The window should now look something like this:
4.4.) Make sure you chose the right Board and Port (Tools > Board / Tools > Port).
4.5.) Upload the codes to your microcontroller by clicking the "Upload arrow" in the top left corner.
*** (If you are familiar with GitHub, you can go to our GitHub site. Download the folder and then open the files in Arduino IDE.)